The University of Florida is a leader in the discovery and implementation of precision medicine.
Genomic medicine is a critical component of precision medicine.
UF seeks doctorally prepared clinicians and researchers who are poised to lead the next generation of scientists into an era where genomic medicine approaches are a routine part of patient care. The Program for Applied Research and Development in Genomic Medicine, or PARADIGM, is funded by the National Institutes of Health’s National Human Genomic Research Institute and will prepare trainees to be leaders in genomic medicine research and implementation. Trainees will receive didactic training tailored to their needs, extensive mentoring from world-renowned scientists, valuable clinical exposure in multiple areas of genomic medicine and stimulating career development opportunities in a robust, interdisciplinary research environment at UF.
- PARADIGM trainees will benefit from a rich
research training environment at the
University of Florida.
- Gain in-depth knowledge in genomic medicine
and research practices through a comprehensive
didactic program that includes courses in genomic
medicine, grant writing, biostatistics and more.
- Establish a primary research project that will
support development of manuscripts, grant
applications and presentations at UF and
- Consider an optional M.S. degree (such as M.S. in
personalized medicine or clinical investigation) or a graduate certificate in precision medicine to enhance training.
- PARADIGM trainees will enjoy a wealth of
interdisciplinary learning opportunities that
exist at the University of Florida.
- Benefit from a primary mentor and mentoring
committee who will guide the trainee through
- Spend at least 80 hours in a clinical genomic
medicine setting to support implementation
and broaden perspectives of the field.
- Receive substantial professional development
training through exposure to several genomic
medicine career pathways, seminar series events,
annual UF research days and attendance at
national and international meetings.
|Areas of Research||Genomic medicine with an emphasis in:|
• Cancer genomics
• Disease genetics/genomics
|Number of Trainees||4|
|Duration of the Program||2 years (optional third year) TYPICAL TIMELINE|
|Openings Per Year||2|
|Eligibility||• U.S. citizen or permanent resident status|
• Holds doctorate degree
• Preference will be given to those with a clinical doctorate
|Priority Application Deadline||February 1, 2022 (Priority will be given to applicants who apply by this date.)|
|Application Deadline||April 1, 2022|
|Stipend||Paid per NIH Postdoctoral Year Levels|
Current and Past Trainees
|Trainee||Doctoral Degree (Graduation YEar)||Mentor||Employer and Current position|
|Rachel Dalton||Pharm.D., 2017||Julio Duarte||Data Curator, PharmGKB|
|Karla Claudio Campos||Ph.D., 2017||Carol Mathews||Medical Science Liaison AbbVie|
|Cameron Thomas||Pharm.D., 2016||Larisa Cavallari||Postdoc in the UF College of Pharmacy|
|Eric Pruitt||M.D., 2016||Gilbert Upchurch||UF Thoracic & Cardiovascular Surgery Resident|
|Kelly Herremans||M.D., 2017||Alex Parker and Jose Trevino||In Training|
|Andrea Riner||M.D., 2017||Alex Parker and Jose Trevino||In Training|
|Lilian Shen||D.V.M., 2017||Amara Estrada and Christopher Vulpe||In Training|
|Alexandra Ladd||M.D., 2018||Ali Zarrinpar||In Training|
UF COLLEGE OF PHARMACY
UF COLLEGE OF PUBLIC HEALTH AND HEALTH PROFESSIONS
How to Apply
Applicants are encouraged to submit the application materials listed below by April 1, 2022.
- Personal statement (In two pages or less, describe your background, interest and experience in genomic medicine and your career goals)
- Research plan or goals statement (If you are a UF postdoc planning to stay in your current lab, you should describe your primary research project and mentor. If you are not a UF postdoc, please describe which of the three focus areas you are interested in pursuing and the type of project you would like to pursue. Also, please include mentors with whom you would be interested in working.)
- Three letters of recommendation (mailed by referee to Elizabeth Eddy at the address below)
- Unofficial transcript (mailed to Elizabeth Eddy at the address below)
Questions and Mailing Address
Elizabeth Eddy, M.P.H.
UF College of Pharmacy
1225 Center Drive
PO Box 100486, Office 3308B
Gainesville, FL 32610